Sunday, May 18, 2014
Lately a friend was packing her stuff to move to a new residence, and she lamented on the number of books alone (not to mention other items) which were accumulated over the years and the difficulty of deciding which to keep and which not to.
She even wanted to keep all those books for children, once favoured by her daughter, for the purposes of future perusal by here grandchildren! I had told her then that by virtue of the extent of IT that generation would have most probably prevailed into e-Books and the like; not all these paper stuff hard copies.
Upon reflection, despite being one who hardly hesitate to discard with great efficacy any item I deemed not useful, I still find it hard to throw or giveaway my books. Although I have had thrown away a good many things to the point of being labelled "throw it away" as my middle name by my kids, I find myself unable to part with most of my books, even my study notes and text books with which I did my degree. They seemed to be a part of me - a time which I spent arduous hours reading and writing, tediously putting pen to paper collating the knowledge and information in charts and other forms.
Further deliberating on books brought into my mind my very own daughter, who told me that books (physical books) are the things in her life she cannot be without. She even thinks that there is a certain aroma or fragrance in them that cannot be compared. She likes to breathe in them!
For this, I am truly happy for her to have found her calling, and studying what is definitely and completely most suitable for her. The road ahead will be so much better as she cradles this love for books.
So... perhaps with more book lovers, IT may not yet be able to conquer this little fiefdom of the written word - pen on paper. And that's a mighty nice fine thought :)
On a totally different note, of late I have been undergoing this syndrome which I know not what to call - age or illness! This inability to be coherent, or if coherent would utter some strange word totally unrelated to what was in my mind, which is inexplicable and frighteningly increasing in their occurrence. At times, words which are within my vocabulary simply elude me, leaving me wordless!
Not only on my speech, even my action or inaction or wrong action is fast becoming a cause for concern to me. I have driven my car with the key-less system for more than a year now. Recently on numerous occasions when I had stretched out my hand to push the button to switch on the air-cond, I pushed the button that stopped my engine totally (which I have had pushed to start it at the beginning) - an action (amongst many other quirks of mine) which invariably drew this look of disdain from my passenger in his greater youth! There was a day when this happened yet again when I was alone, I was a bit bewildered as to why my car had suddenly stopped moving as I was getting out of a parking space before it dawned on me what I did :(
People tell me it's the age factor, nonetheless I really do figure it is about time I get my head checked! This is getting disturbing. More disturbing is the other day I could not remember the prefix letters to my car registration number - a trait that I have always found funny in other people!
I don't know....... but we must above all be happy :)))
*** peace from ah fun ***
description:
base codes :